Friday, December 17, 2010

Taking the Bitter with the Sweet

Well the randomness of life never ceases to plague us! I wanted to write a Christmas post for December and talk about our most recent miracle with our sweet baby boy. I'm still going to, but I have some Christmas goodies to add to it now. This past week was a rough one. Sometimes it's hard to see why things happen like they do, but as we've learned a long time ago (and keep learning) sometimes you just have to take the bitter with the sweet.

Some sweetness: At our 1st anatomy scan, they found that our baby's heart wasn't at the right angle a normal heart should be in, and his little stomach wasn't quite right. Naturally, we were nervous and concerned. (thanks for all the prayers and fasting familia!) After seeing a pediatric cardiologist and having another anatomy scan, we were relieved to find that even though his heart is at a different axis, everything was still functioning fine as far as can be seen for now. After asking my OB if this was common, he told me he honestly had never seen a case where the heart was turned as our little man's is and there wasn't an underlying abnormality or functioning problem with the baby. He told me when our boy comes, we need to tell him he's a very special baby. Um, wow. So thankful! Miracle? I think yes. Very special baby INDEED!

Some bitter: Last Monday, my thigh was super sore and got progessively worse as the week went on. I thought I'd just pulled a muscle. I was supposed to start physical therapy for sciatica probs, but the morning I was to start, my entire left leg was swollen, purple, and killing me! I called my doc and ended up going to see him instead. I was sent over to the hospital for an ultrasound and admitted within an hour. Keep in mind that David was in the middle of finals and stuck downtown until at least 4:30 that afternoon. I had no idea what was going on for about 4 hours, so I was pretty much scared to death and wishing David or someone could be there with me. FINALLY I was informed that I had a blood clot in my femoral vein. As luck would have it, I've got the genetics to be more prone to a clot and pregnancy helped to make it happen. So much for all that walkin' I'd been doing! (By the way, this all happened 5 days afore we were to fly out for ID for Christmas)

Poor David while sick and feeling awful, stayed with me that night, but left really early to head to school for more finals. Right after he left, a nurse came rushing in to inform me that I was having regular contractions. (yeah, totally didn't even know it) I spent the morning getting shots and being monitored until they were able to get it to stop. Thankfully, they did. Supposedly the stress from the clot sent me into preterm labor. (REALLY?!) We know our boy's feisty though, because he kicked the tar out of the monitors whenever they were on my belly. The nurses turned down the volume on the monitor because it got so loud from him kicking. 'Ats my boy! Our sweet baby was and is just fine, THANK HEAVENS!

We miraculously got permission from my hematologist to fly under certain conditions, and after painfully going back and forth we decided to come. I'm on bedrest and have to be super careful from here on out. Don't know if it was the best decision, and it's been tough, but we're sooo glad to be around family and have help! I have the best nurse in the WHOLE WORLD. David is so amazing...I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful hubby who's taking such good care of me. He even gives me my shot everyday! It's times like these that make me swear I'll NEVER take him for granted ever! I lived in a wheelchair on the way over, and I have a grandma cane I've been using (yeah, I laugh about it, too). My leg's still swollen, but we're counting our blessings that it happened when it did and not after we got to Idaho. It could have been so much worse. And on the up side, I think I'm better prepared for childbirth now because this has been PAIN-FUL!

Pretty sure this pregnancy has been anything but fabulous, but I know he's going to be sooo worth it! I just keep telling myself, I can do this! It really could have been so much worse, and our baby's healthy and strong. My oh my, he is strong! :)

David finished his first semester of dental school and has done awesome. I'm so proud of him! His two weeks of 11 finals were painful, but he did it! And he still loves it. Him happy = Me happy

I'm so grateful for tender mercies and for my Savior, Jesus Christ and all He has done for me and my family. He is helping us through this new trial. What a wonderful time of year to celebrate the birth of our dear Savior! I know He lives, and He loves each one of us. May you all feel His love and constant presence in your lives! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone! 

8 comments:

Angela S said...

I s grateful that ya'll have been so blessed through these scary situations! We'll be praying for your health and the precious baby's. Sending love your way!

jessica + clay said...

Oh my goodness, Kabree you are so strong. Seriously, what would we do without the knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father and know that plans are in order, so all we can do is rely on the Lord. You are amazing! I wish you the best through the rest of your pregnancy!

Carlee said...

Oh look how CUTE you are prego, I love it! I got a bit nervous when I read your post title, but I'm so happy things are ok, albeit a bit uncomfortable. You're awesome. Have a Merry Christmas!!

LD said...

SOO SOO glad everything is still okay. I have been thinking about ya tons---have fun in Idaho and take it easy!

Sarah Miller said...

Goodness girl!! When it rains it pours for you! We'll say a few extra prayers for you guys. One way or another things will turn out ok and I'm so glad that your leg is doing better. You definitely have the right attitude though and to rely on the Lord and put all your faith and trust in Him. Hope you have a Happy Christmas and (if possible) enjoyable rest of your pregnancy. :) Love ya!

Turpin's said...

Oh man Kabe...good luck with everything. You and your family are in our prayers. Hang in there and take it easy! Glad you got to come home to be with your family...that will help a lot! Have a Merry Christmas!

Leisa Moulton said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay!! That little baby will definitely be worth it...mine sure is. Keep hanging in there! How long are you going to be in Idaho??

The Cupp's said...

You are so strong, always looking at the positive. It's very inspiring. I hope everything continues to go well.