Monday, November 17, 2008

Holy Stromboli!

The following contains information that may cause people to be wide-eyed, open-mouthed and produce a slight "hughh!" out of your mouth while thinking "Really? Seriously?" (humor me)

What in the heck? Thanksgiving is next week? What?! November's half over? What??!! I'm still stuck on Halloween. I think I might have been in a comatose state for the past 2 weeks, as they're all a blur. But no complaints! The faster Thanksgiving comes, the sooner we get to see all our family! YAY! But anyhew, it's blogging time today!
David got a vacation at the first of November. He got to go to Idaho! I was so jealous! He went on business during the week and got to spend the weekend with all our familia. We love our Idaho! But I was soooo glad when he got back. That was the longest I've ever been away from him, and I'll admit it. I was a wanny. I missed him like crazy! I wanted to throw a temper tantrum at the airlines for making him get home an hour late. (wide-eyed yet?)

Before Dave left for ID, we participated in some sneaky late night pumpkin hunting. All's I hafta say is you do what ya gotta do to get pumpkin seeds in our family! The hunt was successful as we came home with 6 trophy fatties and after Turkey Day, they'll be gutted to make the most delicious treat! If you're up for an addicting snack, try this: (you'll love it)

Boil 2 cups washed pumpkin seeds for a while in salt water. Drain seeds. Melt 3 Tbsp butter/margarine & mix with 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp Worcestershire. Completely coat the pumpkin seeds with this mixture and spread out on cookie sheet. Cook @ 300-350 until the seeds turn brown and crispy. Stir the seeds around every 10 mins. until they're done.

Finally, the purpose of my "holy stromboli!" We're having a ward Thanksgiving dinner this weekend, and it's a faker! I know I'm overreacting about this, but pretty close to everything we'll be eating is either going to be fake, store bought, or out of a can. I'm so sad! :( When I think of Thanksgiving dinners, I think of yummy, fluffy, real mashed taters, homemade stuffing, yummy veggies and homemade rolls, etc. Even with past ward Turkey dinners, they'd send around signups and people would VoLuNtEeR to bring all these things from home. Yeah, the good stuff. Welp, to make things easier here in Amarillo, we do everything fake. There's even a big budget for it! (I'm almost crying just typing this) I'm all for easy, but when it comes to Thanksgiving, I guess my family spoiled me cuz all's I know is homemade deliciousness. For those of you who've not tasted the sweetness of a homemade Thanksgiving dinner, your taste buds are being sooo shafted. (I was so befuddled by this that I even offered to make massive batches of mashed spuds and homemade rolls. Desperate? Yes. Did it work? No.) So my wide eyes and open mouth will stay with me until after the dinner is over Friday night, after I've painstakingly choked down the fakers. So anyhow HOLY STROMBOLI! I hope everyone out there has a happy Thanksgiving, and I hope you all get to partake at least partly, of a yummy home cooked meal. Parker's, I can't wait to come for Thanksgiving! :)

11 comments:

Angela S said...

So what is the scoop on this weekend's fakesgiving dinner? I'm not as big a T-dayer as you but all fake just takes the joy out of it. So I see where you are coming from.

By the way I really like your self portrait on the right side of your blog. Totally hot.

Gallup Family said...

What a bummer! I can't imagine a fake Thanksgiving dinner. Sorry you have to choke it down. Enjoy your real Thanksgiving though!

Turpin's said...

Hey Kabe!! Its so good to hear from you...talk about a blast from the past with everyones blog. I have been so bad at not keeping in contact with people. But we are doing great! I work at a local bank and I just love it! Brent has only 1 year left of school and then we will move to where ever he gets his job. Things are great for us. It was good to hear from ya and keep in touch!! - Carrie
P.S. Hope you guys have a GREAT Thanksgiving!!!

LD said...

Don't make me think about it. I have never eaten fake mashed potatoes and I don't plan on starting anytime soon! (I guess we know the frog-eyed salad and sweet potatoes are safe)

I'll pick you up early on Frieday to eat out before we eat out, k?

Angela S said...

Yeah stacey mentioned ya'll hit the midnight showing. Wow, I haven't been able to swing that in years. I do NOT function on little sleep. :) But yeah, they did a great job!

Welcome to Newman's World said...

Im so glad we all sat together to enjoy that Nasty food!!! It made it so much better lucky we had alot of napkins to hide the food we didn't eat.. lol did I just say that?? I came home looking for whatever I could to eat we should have ate before we went..bad really bad.

Marnie said...

Kabe and Dave,
Thanks so much for making the trek up to Dallas! We loved having you here. The two of you were hands down our favorite part of Thanksgiving this year. We love you!

Angela S said...

Check this out:
http://www.daringyoungmom.com/2008/12/01/thanksgiving-at-twilight/
I love her blog, she's lds and writes for parenting.com plus her own blog. She's way funny and well I'm pretty sure earlier this year she went on a trip to forks. So this crazy post isn't outside her norm I guess.

Oh and I don't think I have your email so email me through my blogger profile so I can have it.

sjhalford said...

I am going to make my blog private. Will you give me your email address so I can invite ya? Is it ok if I put your link on my blog?

The Hansens said...

hey kabree-
It's your cuz Melissa. We missed you at Thanksgiving. Just wanted to let you know we have a blog. I love looking at yours and seeing what you are up to. You guys look amazing. I added you to mine, hope that's okay?

Love ya.
Melissa

Sterzers said...

Your blog looks way fun! I'm still thinking about nail school but I will probably find a job to start in January and go from there who really knows. This not having a job or anything thing has been kinda nice though! Are you done with your school yet for a while? I will give you a call one of these days! Can't wait to see you guys for Christmas!