Monday, August 11, 2008

Feelin' Lucky

I can't help but feel lucky today as I remember where David and I were a year ago. I almost completely forgot that I had my surgery a year ago this week to remove that dreaded lump in my breast that scared us to death. I guess the real reason I'm writing is to remind all of you as my friends and family to do self breast checks. Hahaha, I still feel silly when I check myself, so just know you're not alone if you feel silly too! I know this is kind of a weird thing to write about, and I hope I don't make anyone uncomfortable by writing about this. I'm sorry if I do. But I'm a big advocate of being safe, and I care about all of you! :) Women do find lumps...even when they're 21 and healthy, as I found out!

I was dreading my girl checkup this last month, as it was time again to check lump #2 I found last fall. I almost cried when my Dr. told me she couldn't hardly feel it! YAY! My mom had me start taking Vit E pills everyday, after she heard from a friend that it had helped her shrink and get rid of her lumps after her doc recommended it. I'm a believer now, and if anyone ever wants some info about it, let me know. I guess it could just be a placebo effect thing for me, and my body's attacking it just because I'm thinking the Vit E's killing it, haha! But anyhow, that's why I'm feeling so lucky this week. I know we've been blessed and I feel like a free woman with no 4 month checkup recommended this time around. So ladies, know your bodies, and please please please check yourselves every month. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_2_1x_How_to_Perform_a_Breast_Self_Examination.asp

4 comments:

LD said...

You should give seminars :) It is a great reminder....I NEVER do self-checks. But, you have just inspired me.

Marnie said...

Kabe, we too were so relieved that all was ok last year. Thanks for the Vita E tip. I have never heard of that before. I am going to start adding to to my daily concoction.

Sterzers said...

So I wasn't trying to leave you out of the loop i promise I just hadn't figured out how to e-mail it to everyone and I didnt' have much on it! :) Anyway speaking of the gyno I was there today!! :) yearly check up and she went over how to do the self breast examination. Anyways thanks for the reminder! We're so glad you are safe and healthy!

Welcome to Newman's World said...

Well hello Mrs.Kabree I am so happy everything turned out great... And your right most women dont check (like me) I dont even thing I know how to check so maybe we can talk sometime.... Love your blog